|Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.|
Burris SixX 2-12x40
|Post Reply Topic Search Topic Options|
I bought a Burris SixX 2-12x40. It has an illuminated German #4 reticle. I put it on my Marlin .308MX for hunting here in Europe. I had a Redfield 2-7x36 on it already, and found that 7 power was not enough for shooting the tiny animals we have here in Europe. 10x is much better.
So I bought the scope and mounted it up.
So far, what I have noticed is that 40mm objectives are insufficient for hunting once the sun goes down. Over here we hunt deer until 90 minutes after legal sundown. Pigs/fox can be hunted all night. An illuminated reticle is a must, as is a large objective.
I think the scope would be a good daylight stalking scope, but it is not useful for night hunting.
- The scope has a long eye relief, and great magnification range.
- In good light the scope works well.
- I find the eyebox to be very fussy. Even at 4x I have to hold my eye just so to get it right, and with the low comb on the marlin, my cheek-weld is crap.
- When there is light from above or behind, I get a lot of glare on the objective lens, not really the scope's fault, but maybe it needs an eye cup.
- The power ring is VERY stiff, especially in the 2-6 range, then it loosens noticeably.
- The illumination is sh*t. When it works, the range of settings is good for low-light. But it rarely works, as the rotary switch fails much of the time. It requires a lot of dicking around with it to get it to come on, and some steps the light will go off. Or it may randomly switch to full brightness.
Based solely on the latter, the scope will go back as defective. Its entirely possible I have a bad scope, but between the power ring and the illumination, I am not impressed. I want to support the home team. I own a lot of Leupolds and some Redfields. I wanted a US made Burris, and while I like the power range, I find the details of the scope wanting.
I will be willing to swap it for a illuminated 2-12x50, to see if it gathers more light. If it suffers the same woes of the bad switch or stiff power ring, I would rather send my money to Oregon, Romania or Czech Republic.
Thanks for reading,
|Forum Jump||Forum Permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|Similar Threads: "Burris SixX 2-12x40"|
|Burris SIxX 2-12X42||venatic||Rifle Scopes||0|
|burris sixX||kelly1278||Rifle Scopes||2|
|trophey 4-12x40 vs. bannor 4-12x40||antibeous||Rimfire / Airgun||3||8/9/2006 1:20:44 AM|
|Burris Six X 2-12X40 30mm tube scope||SSgtSmitty||Rifle Scopes||2|
|Burris Six X 2-12x40||biggreen747||Member's Tests and Reviews||18|
|Vortex Viper 4-12x40||SVT_Tactical||Optics For Sale||2|
|Vortex Viper 4-12x40 PA Dead Hold BDC||jbp525||Rifle Scopes||5|
|Redfield 4-12x40||Renico||Rifle Scopes||1|
|Vintage Redfield 4-12X40 Adjustable Objective with||Skylar McMahon||SWFA's Auctions||6|
|nikon p308 vs vortex 4 12x40?||santafro||Rifle Scopes||3|