New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Benefits of a 30mm tube?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

Benefits of a 30mm tube?

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2007 at 18:19
BWeber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: April/28/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 19

Do the 30mm tubes have any other benefits besides allowing for more elevation/windage adjustment?  Do they let more light through?  Anything else?

 

I'm looking for a new scope, and since I don't plan on playing with the elevation that much I'm kind of not bothering to look at the 30mm's.  But I'm wondering if there are other benefits that I'm not aware of.

 

Thanks,

 

Ben

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 00:39
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master


Joined: May/16/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 1082

The short answer is no.  Do a search and you will find this horse beaten way past death.

 

ranburr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 03:14
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 12:08
BWeber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: April/28/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 19

Thanks guys.  Seems like that answers my question.

 

It occurs to me that one downside of a 30mm is that it must raise the scope's center line up by 2.5mm.  As someone who is a stickler for getting the scope as low as possible on the gun a 1" would probably work better for me.

 

Ben

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 17:25
tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: May/31/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 195

BWeber, I disagree with you on that.  I don't think tube makes any practical difference in mounting a scope.  It's the objective that makes a difference.

 

I have a Kimber WSM and I mounted a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 on it with medium ring.  It fit pretty good but I thought that I may like it a hair lower so I switched to Low rings.  Being like you, I too like a scope mounted as low as possible and the low rings fit a little better.

 

About a year later, I decided to put the Zeiss on another gun and I bought a Swaro PH 2.5-10x42 30mm for the Kimber.  I initially mounted it with low 30mm rings.  However after shouldering it for awhile I realized that it was actually to low.  I was having to smush my cheek into the stock to look through it.  I changed to medium 30mm and that was a perfect fit.  Bottom line, in this case low 30mm rings were lower than low 1" rings.

 

I own many 1" scopes as well as 30mm scopes.  In my opinion, there are a few advantages to 30mm scopes and they may or may not be worth the extra money.  But I don't think that a 1" scope has any advantage whatsoever over a 30mm.  Except maybe if you were scoping a 22 and wanted the smallest and lightest scope available.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2007 at 20:02
RifleDude View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: October/13/2006
Location: Texas
Status: Offline
Points: 14321
Originally posted by BWeber BWeber wrote:

Do the 30mm tubes have any other benefits besides allowing for more elevation/windage adjustment? 

 

Ben, keep in mind that sometimes a 30mm tube doesn't even provide more W/E adjustment, depending on the scope.  In fact, some European scopes actually have LESS adjustment range than many 1" main tube scopes!  The 30mm tube only has the potential for providing more adjustment range.  So, it's a good idea to check the specs before selecting a 30mm scope solely based on wanting more adjustment range.  Just thought it was important to mention this fact so you wouldn't spend the extra $ for a benefit that may not actually be there, if this is your main criteria for selecting 30mm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 02:59
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20479
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by BWeber BWeber wrote:

Do the 30mm tubes have any other benefits besides allowing for more elevation/windage adjustment? 

 

Ben, keep in mind that sometimes a 30mm tube doesn't even provide more W/E adjustment, depending on the scope.  In fact, some European scopes actually have LESS adjustment range than many 1" main tube scopes!  The 30mm tube only has the potential for providing more adjustment range.  So, it's a good idea to check the specs before selecting a 30mm scope solely based on wanting more adjustment range.  Just thought it was important to mention this fact so you wouldn't spend the extra $ for a benefit that may not actually be there, if this is your main criteria for selecting 30mm.

 

Good point, RifleDude.

The potential for more adjustment.

I looked at the specs the other day for a Sightron S3, which has a 30mm tube. Seems like it only had 50 MOA worth of elevation adjustment...

The S3 is quite a bit more expensive than the 1" tubed S2.  



Edited by cheaptrick
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 12:19
BWeber View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: April/28/2004
Status: Offline
Points: 19

Thanks guys.  I just ended up ordering a scope that's got a 30mm tube.  In the end the size of the tube was incidental.  I decided I wanted the side-focus parallax adjustment, and that only came on the 30mm tubes.

 

Now I have to buy all new rings . . .

 

Ben

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2007 at 13:47
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10978
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by BWeber BWeber wrote:

Do the 30mm tubes have any other benefits besides allowing for more elevation/windage adjustment? 

 

Ben, keep in mind that sometimes a 30mm tube doesn't even provide more W/E adjustment, depending on the scope.  In fact, some European scopes actually have LESS adjustment range than many 1" main tube scopes!  The 30mm tube only has the potential for providing more adjustment range.  So, it's a good idea to check the specs before selecting a 30mm scope solely based on wanting more adjustment range.  Just thought it was important to mention this fact so you wouldn't spend the extra $ for a benefit that may not actually be there, if this is your main criteria for selecting 30mm.

 

Good point, RifleDude.

The potential for more adjustment.

I looked at the specs the other day for a Sightron S3, which has a 30mm tube. Seems like it only had 50 MOA worth of elevation adjustment...

The S3 is quite a bit more expensive than the 1" tubed S2.  



You can gain some advantage in terms of achievable resolution (not light transmission) by using larger internal lenses.  Because of that some scopes do not have any more W/E adjustment range despite a bigger tube.  Also, since a lot of 30mm scopes are billed as tactical, they can have somewhat beefed up internal mechanics (not necessarily and I do not think it makes a difference in most cases).  Also, if you choose to use larger lenses, you kinda have to have more robust mechanics, simply because the lenses are heavier.  Another factor to consider is that a larger diameter tube has to have thicker walls to maintain the same dent resistance as a smaller diameter tube (keep in ind that a larger diameter tube will have better bending resistance even if the wall thickness is the same, however, dent resistance diminishes somewhat).

Then quite a few 30mm scopes have 4x erectors vs 3x erectors for 1" scopes (general observation, not a hard rule), simply because there is more real estate inside the tube.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "Benefits of a 30mm tube?"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
VX-3L CDS 1 inch tube vesus 30mm tube ww1rdb Rifle Scopes 5
30mm Tube vs 1 inch tube 6mmdasher Rifle Scopes 4
30mm Tube or 1" Tube Diggerdan4 Rifle Scopes 8 6/4/2006 2:04:56 AM
30mm tube 22LR RWBlue Rimfire / Airgun 9
pecar 4x10 x45 30mm steel tube CHRIS/A Rifle Scopes 1
Mounts for Swaro 30mm Tube Alamiss Rings and bases 1 12/5/2006 1:34:32 PM
BSA SWF 6-24x44 30MM TUBE? SAVAGE PLINKER Rifle Scopes 4 5/7/2007 10:02:18 AM
30mm Vs. 1" tube canine Rifle Scopes 1 2/20/2007 11:12:51 AM
30mm or 1 inch tube rain252 Rifle Scopes 1 3/9/2007 10:05:51 PM
bushnell 30mm or 1" tubes norcalkid Rifle Scopes 3 10/16/2007 9:27:21 PM


This page was generated in 0.391 seconds.