New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a fights a come'n
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

a fights a come'n

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 21:57
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
I watched a fair amount of liberal news tonight. The libs are on the fight maybe like never before.
Instead of looking at things like mental heath, criminal control, etc. they ARE going after guns ALL GUNS. I don't want cry wolf or be chicken little but, gun control is dominating the conversation... already.

These libs will never understand TRYING to get rid of all of the guns and/or all of certain types will only raise the crime rate. With an awful act like the one in New England(this one feels different) happens blinds them to the point of total tunnel vision... more gun control laws is their answer - instead of enforcing the ones we already have.

So, I hope I am over reacting.


Genesis 9:2

The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered.








Edited by rustic - December/14/2012 at 22:16
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 06:12
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: January/02/2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 5348
Terrible tragedy,  your fight is coming for sure.  In the early stages responses are all emotional as well they should be, it's just too difficult for sane people to comprehend what could motivate someone to such a heinous act . Any defense of freedoms based on Amendment rights will be viewed as unfeeling gun nut rhetoric from the right.

We had our own tragedy 23 years ago at Ecole Polytechnique that ending in bill C-68 imposing useless laws to prevent similar occurences.

Right now focus should be on all those involved in this senseless act.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 08:40
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: January/07/2009
Location: Benton, Pa
Status: Offline
Points: 4673
+1
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 09:58
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: November/13/2008
Location: Montana
Status: Offline
Points: 4613
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Right now focus should be on all those involved in this senseless act.
 
+1 ... and otherwise it would be good to just stand down and not stir things up.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 10:09
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar

Joined: June/18/2011
Location: TEXAS
Status: Offline
Points: 53898
Those of us with class and dignity and belief in God will be horrified at this event and respectful of these poor people who have lost kids because of a lunatic.
 
 
....and then there's the Liberals! 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 12:05
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
bowsNbugs

Joined: March/10/2008
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 9286
Well said Ed. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 13:13
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/25/2012
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 121
There are approximately 235 million adults in the United States. (18 and older)
You would think it would be more like 150m, but apparently the Baby Boom is still the dominant bulge in the charts.

Off the top of my head I think this was the third or fourth mass shooting this year.
I'll look that up.




OK, there were way more than I thought.
This was the 13th Mass Shooting in 2012, according to the Washington Post.


13 ÷ 235,000,000 = 0.00 00000553191

In English, that's 553 Billionths of a percent of the population slipping the dog off the leash and going berserk.


Now I don't say this to minimize the personal tragedy of what must be hundreds, perhaps thousands of people directly affect by what happened today or earlier this year.

I just want to point out that:

a) It's frankly astonishing that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

b) According to the same source (The WP), 80 people were killed by these nuts this year, not counting the nuts who died with their victims. Every year about 10,000 people die as a direct result of drunk driving. That's 27 a day. And it includes men, women and children. For that matter it includes pregnant women.

I don't mention that to point out that in spite of all those deaths, both cars and alcohol are FAR more available than guns are; and there are no serious calls to ban either of those. It's true, but that's not my point.

We accept a level of carnage in our society from all sorts of things that is astonishing.

All the Americans to die in war since 1775, and this includes a couple of dozen wars you've never heard of, is less than 850,000.

That's less than 3,600 a year.

That's roughly 1/10th of the number of Americans who commit suicide each year; which in itself outstrips automotive fatalities in general.

In 2011, 14,612 Americans were murdered. That's 4 times the death rate from war. It's more than 180 times the number of people killed in mass shootings this year; and over 560 times the number of people killed on Friday.


So why the special horror for events like today?

An obvious answer is the fact that it was children. But then we're back to the uncomfortable truth that about 2,000 children die each year in car accidents.

Is it because it's murder instead of accidents? More than 200 women in the United States kill their children every year according to aaanet.org (American Anthropological Association)

Is it because there is a gun involved? The Centers for Disease Control tell us that there are somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000 people killed each year by firearms.


That's it:

  •     Intentional homicide
  •     Firearms involvement
  •     Children killed

If it's not one of those three things, what is it?


Again, I don't want to minimize what happened today even a tiny bit, but do you think it's possible that we hold a special horror for these things not because they are a "special" horror (arguably, they aren't), but because we're TOLD to?

Or perhaps we think we're EXPECTED to and if we don't we will be thought of as sick/deranged/twisted/etc?


That's not a pronouncement by the way...

That's a question. A mainly rhetorical one, but still...


Why does it matter?


Because humans are social animals. It's why most of us are so fond of dogs, and it's a GOOD thing.


But it also makes us susceptible to emotional manipulation which in turn leads to bad decisions and irrational behavior in general.


I won't editorialize beyond that, I simply think it's something that is very important for us to keep in mind at times like this.

Not in SPITE of the tragedy but rather BECAUSE of it.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 09:41
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight


Joined: July/04/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 5087
more people die from prescription drug overdose (abuse and use) than all the sources you mentioned combined. including heroin and cocaine,yet drug control is a major industry.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 10:42
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20474
I must say that I'm at a lose of words at the horrific actions of this person. Prays going out to all the parents and family members who lost loved ones, or were injured. 

That said, I always find it interesting at the people and industries the media vilifies during these tragedies and the ones that seemingly get a free pass.  

For example....The gun makers and owners are flogged, while the folks who make violent movie and video makers remain unscathed. 
The NRA is blamed for lobbying for loose gun laws, while FEDCO, who determines which areas are gun free zones, and coincidentally the scenes of numerous gun slayings, remain beyond reproach. 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 11:07
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: January/08/2007
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 7180
Selective media. They never dwell on the story where a drunk or druggie driving in the wrong lanes kills a family of 5. To me that,s much worse because it happens so much more often.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 11:33
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Avatar

Joined: May/14/2006
Location: West of Rockies
Status: Offline
Points: 12710
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2012 at 12:54
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar

Joined: June/18/2011
Location: TEXAS
Status: Offline
Points: 53898
Wait till this fight opens up in Washington, and with the Media, with Our Hero John Boehner, et al, going out to do battle for Our Team over the future of the Bill of Rights. 
 
 
Bugs Bunny has got more guts than these guys.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 02:14
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar
Lord Of The Flies

Joined: March/14/2007
Location: South Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 5753
We have strict gun control in South Africa...yet more firearms are reported lost and stolen by the very police that uphold the law, then from citizens. And I am not talking of Micky Mouse pistols etc....It is the big stuff needed for bank robberies etc. Automatic rifles, bullet proof vests etc. If these jokers could fly helicopters and drive tanks I am sure a couple of those would also go missing each year.
 
Gun control only works on law abiding citizens. The rest don,t give a rats a.... They get it through the other channel.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 09:01
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2012/dec/16/sen-dianne-feinstein-introduce-gun-control-legisla/

It is starting... so called "assault" weapons ban.
And of course our Washington politicians know next to nothing about the difference between firearms/ammo.

No one in Washington seems to be looking at things like taking "God" out of school's, the breakdown of the American family, spiritual health, mental health, violence in movies/video games. Gun "control" only pits Americans against each other.

God bless the families affected by this evil. Impossible to imagine going into Christmas without kids...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 12:37
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/25/2012
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 121
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:



No one in Washington seems to be looking at things like taking "God" out of school's, the breakdown of the American family, spiritual health, mental health, violence in movies/video games.


I disagree with the idea that this has anything to do with what you said.

Not because I don't think that was you said isn't accurate...

It's because there has always been a certain tiny percentage of people who are born "broken".


According to the Washington Post, there have been 13 mass shootings this year. Just for the sake of discussion, let's accept that at face value.

There are about 250 million people in the US who are 18 or over.

That means all 13 of those nut jobs TOGETHER represent about 550 BILLIONTHS of a percent of the total adult population.


We have a better chance of stopping a doomsday asteroid from striking the Earth than we do of predicting when some person who was born 'broken' is going to slip the dog off the leash; because at least then we'd have some warning.


No matter how tragic this event was; and it was tragic; this is the classic "Black Swan" event.

To be completely crude an callous about it; Poo Happens.

It always has, it always will. It's part of the human experience and we can no more do anything about it than we can stop the tides of make the wind stop blowing.


In fact, about the only thing that you COULD do would be to allow people to be in a position to defend themselves.

But we're not allowed to talk about that, are we?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 13:51
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:


Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:



No one in Washington seems to be looking at things like taking "God" out of school's, the breakdown of the American family, spiritual health, mental health, violence in movies/video games.


I disagree with the idea that this has anything to do with what you said.

Not because I don't think that was you said isn't accurate...

It's because there has always been a certain tiny percentage of people who are born "broken".


According to the Washington Post, there have been 13 mass shootings this year. Just for the sake of discussion, let's accept that at face value.

There are about 250 million people in the US who are 18 or over.

That means all 13 of those nut jobs TOGETHER represent about 550 BILLIONTHS of a percent of the total adult population.


We have a better chance of stopping a doomsday asteroid from striking the Earth than we do of predicting when some person who was born 'broken' is going to slip the dog off the leash; because at least then we'd have some warning.


No matter how tragic this event was; and it was tragic; this is the classic "Black Swan" event.

To be completely crude an callous about it; Poo Happens.

It always has, it always will. It's part of the human experience and we can no more do anything about it than we can stop the tides of make the wind stop blowing.


In fact, about the only thing that you COULD do would be to allow people to be in a position to defend themselves.

But we're not allowed to talk about that, are we?



My point was by singling out gun "control" as the answer is like putting a band-aid on a broken arm... it just does not work.

Yes, things need to be put in prospective for instance look up how many deaths caused by doctors misdiagnosing illness and so on. The numbers are crippling on that one.

Stuff does happen.
Till we get any politicians worth a damn... more laws are NOT the answer this PC'ness will never lead this country right.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 14:00
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/25/2012
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 121
Unfortunately, we won't GET enough politicians who are worth a damn until enough of the electorate wakes up and starts to pay attention to what's actually going on.

Of course, that would require them to snap out of their "Yankees vs Red Sox" mode of political thought.


Soon enough though, the general government won't matter anymore and we'll go back to being citizens of our States.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 14:27
cheaptrick View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar

Joined: September/27/2004
Location: South Carolina
Status: Offline
Points: 20474
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

Unfortunately, we won't GET enough politicians who are worth a damn until enough of the electorate wakes up and starts to pay attention to what's actually going on.

Of course, that would require them to snap out of their "Yankees vs Red Sox" mode of political thought.


Soon enough though, the general government won't matter anymore and we'll go back to being citizens of our States.

Oh how I long for that day! Damn Abe Lincoln!! 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 15:36
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: January/07/2009
Location: Benton, Pa
Status: Offline
Points: 4673
Tragic part of the gun control issue is that the people who want a band on guns are the same ones willing to send our young people off to war to kill other people using guns & don't give it a second thought!
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 23:05
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
I heard that the NRA new membership is setting records at over 8,000 each day since the shooting??
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2012 at 09:01
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: September/25/2012
Location: Ohio
Status: Offline
Points: 121
Until the NRA is willing to say things like:

"If gun control worked, Newtown wouldn't have happened."

or

"Gun Control advocates have blood on their hands. They have made it difficult or even impossible for law abiding adults to defend themselves from an armed assailant. If Victoria Soto had the OPTION of arming herself for protection, she MIGHT be alive today. And so would a lot of children."

Things will never change. Morons will keep trying to legislate away human behavior by attacking inanimate objects..
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2012 at 09:19
Trigger slap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Avatar

Joined: February/25/2010
Location: Kentucky
Status: Offline
Points: 122
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 12:20
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: September/30/2011
Status: Offline
Points: 1461
The big "O" throws down the gauntlet today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "a fights a come'n"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
Does higher quality glass help fight mirage? maj paine Tactical Scopes 10


This page was generated in 0.297 seconds.