New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 3-9 comparison
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check GunBroker.com for SWFA's No Reserve and No Minimum bid firearm auctions.

3-9 comparison

 Post Reply Post Reply   Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 21:42
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
Avatar

Joined: November/21/2008
Location: NC
Status: Offline
Points: 370
How would ya'll rate the following 3-9's?


Nikon Team Primos

Sightron SII

Bushnell 4200 Elite


Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 21:55
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: December/14/2007
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 1435
I've only got the team primos and have looked through the 4200, but I bet the majority of people would rate them as

1. 4200
2.  team primos
3.  SII
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:11
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Resident Redneck

Joined: June/20/2005
Location: Iowa
Status: Offline
Points: 13882
I would definately give the 4200 the #1 spot they have very nice glass and the rainguard finish the other two who cares.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:15
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
OT TITAN

Joined: December/22/2006
Location: North Dakota
Status: Offline
Points: 22024
if your talking the sightron big sky its another story.
i own two out of the three, the 4200 is probably one of the best scopes under$500 out there right now.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 22:26
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: December/16/2008
Location: So. Cal
Status: Offline
Points: 2031
Team Primos has a BDC reticle as well, something else to consider
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2010 at 23:40
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Avatar

Joined: January/08/2007
Location: Oklahoma
Status: Offline
Points: 7181
I like the SII a little better than the Team Primos. 4200 on top.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 00:31
koshkin View Drop Down
MODERATOR
MODERATOR
Avatar
Dark Lord of Optics

Joined: June/15/2004
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 10977
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I like the SII a little better than the Team Primos. 4200 on top.

I am with 3_tens on this one.

ILya
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 04:53
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: January/07/2009
Location: Benton, Pa
Status: Offline
Points: 4673
4200......Sll......TP
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2010 at 22:03
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Avatar

Joined: January/19/2005
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Points: 3773
4200 .. Nikon ...SII
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2010 at 05:57
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master
Avatar
bowsNbugs

Joined: March/10/2008
Location: Florida
Status: Offline
Points: 9294
Bushy, Sightron, Nikon. Nuff said.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:30
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/16/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 39
Looking forward to see if they put the 4200s on clearance.

How are the 4200s in low light?

My nephew looked through my Nikon Team Primos today and exclaimed, "Holy Moly! This thing is crystal clear...wow, the clarity!"  "Here Dad, look through this."  They are a solid Simmons family...hey, they work for them and they have surely taken more deer than me this year...even Mr. Lucky, my nephew...my brother just steps up to 50mm objectives and calls it good.

I'm looking to trade up to either a Zeiss, a Burris Signature Select or something I find that I like in a 42 to 44 Obj...looking to improve my low light while not compromising clarity and crispness.

The Team Primos is a clear crisp scope, but it really gives me nothing in low light.  I think my Burris FFII is a smidgeon better (just a hair) in low light but the Team Primos is even shorter on the tube and sits too far forward on my long bolt Savage.  The only other thing I could do is replace the Tallyes and go with a rail, but I really just don't like them over my bolt...it's a loading thing for me with that blind magazine.

If, however, the 4200 is an easier mount (I'll go look up the dimensions) and they are out there for a steal...perhaps, I may look at one of these.  I'm afraid unless I get up there around $400 I'm just going to be dissatisfied as they are probably (for my eyes) similar or not enough difference to replace the Nikon with.

What say you?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 18:37
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
Avatar
OT TITAN

Joined: December/22/2006
Location: North Dakota
Status: Offline
Points: 22024
Originally posted by tidmarshsmiths5 tidmarshsmiths5 wrote:

Looking forward to see if they put the 4200s on clearance.

How are the 4200s in low light?

My nephew looked through my Nikon Team Primos today and exclaimed, "Holy Moly! This thing is crystal clear...wow, the clarity!"  "Here Dad, look through this."  They are a solid Simmons family...hey, they work for them and they have surely taken more deer than me this year...even Mr. Lucky, my nephew...my brother just steps up to 50mm objectives and calls it good.

I'm looking to trade up to either a Zeiss, a Burris Signature Select or something I find that I like in a 42 to 44 Obj...looking to improve my low light while not compromising clarity and crispness.

The Team Primos is a clear crisp scope, but it really gives me nothing in low light.  I think my Burris FFII is a smidgeon better (just a hair) in low light but the Team Primos is even shorter on the tube and sits too far forward on my long bolt Savage.  The only other thing I could do is replace the Tallyes and go with a rail, but I really just don't like them over my bolt...it's a loading thing for me with that blind magazine.

If, however, the 4200 is an easier mount (I'll go look up the dimensions) and they are out there for a steal...perhaps, I may look at one of these.  I'm afraid unless I get up there around $400 I'm just going to be dissatisfied as they are probably (for my eyes) similar or not enough difference to replace the Nikon with.

What say you?

good enough for me to kill a doe at first legal light on opening morning on 6x! at 100yds. lf you spend more a zeiss conquest will get you a little more.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 19:33
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: November/02/2005
Status: Offline
Points: 165

The 4200 3-9x40 is already a bargain at its current price

As a Savage owner myself I too look at scope lengths.  The 4200's are longer than many others and are easy to mount in the proper position
 
The TP reticle is hideous.  All Nikon BDC reticles are hideous. 
 
Never looked through a SII, wouldn't bother either with the 4200 3-9x40 priced as it is
 
The Conquest et. al, are indeed nice glass, but in a different price class too
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 19:49
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper


Joined: October/16/2009
Status: Offline
Points: 39
Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

The 4200 3-9x40 is already a bargain at its current price

As a Savage owner myself I too look at scope lengths.  The 4200's are longer than many others and are easy to mount in the proper position
 
The TP reticle is hideous.  All Nikon BDC reticles are hideous. 
 
Never looked through a SII, wouldn't bother either with the 4200 3-9x40 priced as it is
 
The Conquest et. al, are indeed nice glass, but in a different price class too

Smokey...what glass do you use on that Savage?

I agree...the BDC reticle for whitetail deer hunting in the Southeast is a waste of my time and way too busy...although, bro says if I hunted gas lines like they do sometimes it would come in handy...
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 21:59
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice


Joined: November/02/2005
Status: Offline
Points: 165
I have a few Savages...
 
7mm Rem Mag long action wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 on an EGW one piece base and Burris Sig Zee rings.  The FF-II was too short for a two piece base system
 
223 Rem short action wears a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 on a Ken Farrel base and Burris Sig Zee rings.  Scope fits with two piece bases but the Farrell base was a great deal
 
243 Win long action wears a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee 30mm rings.  This rifle had a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC on the same bases and Burris Sig Zee rings in 1 inch
 
223 Rem long action wears a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee rings
 
22-250 long action wears an original Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 on Burris XTR bases and Burris Sig Zee rings.  This one will get another Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 UCC I have waiting for it as soon as I buy some more Burris XTR bases or an EGW base.  The Nikon is too short for this base/ring combo
 
243 Win short action wears a Minox ZA3 3-9x40 on Burris standard turn in bases and and Burris Sig rings.  This rifle has had a 4200 3-9x40 on it with the same bases and rings. 
 
7mm-08 Rem short action wears a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III on Burris dual dovetail bases and Burris Sig rings.  This rifle has had a 4200-3-9x40 on it with the same bases and rings, and a FF-II 3-9x40 with XTR bases and Sig Zee rings.  The FF-II fit ok with the dd bases, but I needed it further back for proper eye positioning
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)     Back to Top Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2010 at 22:10
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Avatar

Joined: July/20/2010
Location: South Georgia
Status: Offline
Points: 1456

I dont have an SII, but I have the 4200 and the TP and I would put the 4200 ahead of the TP.

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Similar Threads: "3-9 comparison"
Subject Author Forum Replies Last Post
LPS comparison gozarian Rifle Scopes 0 12/22/2004 1:35:41 AM
Burris Xtreme Tactical Scopes (Comparison mmpoeth Rifle Scopes 27 5/14/2005 4:09:50 PM
comparison of scopes recurveman Rifle Scopes 5 10/8/2005 6:13:10 AM
Pentax/Weaver comparison gozarian Rifle Scopes 2 9/28/2005 1:45:11 PM
Bino Comparison-Advice on upgrade Matt Palmquist Binoculars 11 10/20/2005 11:54:08 PM
Scope comparison. Help needed OK hunter Rifle Scopes 6 12/13/2005 1:30:28 PM
6X Scope Comparison ren300wsm Rifle Scopes 6 5/25/2006 12:22:34 AM
An Unfair Comparison CB900F Varmint Scopes 8 9/6/2006 12:48:43 PM
MEOSTAR MEOPTA review & comparison jonbravado Rifle Scopes 4 10/9/2006 9:13:44 AM
bushnell 3200 vs 4200 comparison cdale71 Rifle Scopes 6 11/20/2006 10:59:46 PM


This page was generated in 0.281 seconds.